Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Man

I'm home today teaching my kids how to spell new words, discovering common denominators in fractions, practicing handwriting, etc. We just had a lunch break and I baked some cookies for them. This afternoon we will gather up some good books and spend some time reading. It may not sound great to some of you, but to me it sounds wonderful. All our days are not perfect, but I am so priveledged to be able to be here with my kids.

My hubby is out driving an appliance parts delivery truck from Lubbock to Midland/Odessa in the 100 degree heat today. (Those of you who have ever driven that route or anywhere in this area of Texas will understand the sacrifice I am trying to convey.)

We don't own our own home. We drive an older mini-van (one vehicle working). We do without a lot of things that we want. Things have not always gone the way we thought they would in our life, but one thing is for sure: I am married to a real MAN. He works hard. (Right now he is working two jobs that are not in his field and pay little, but he never complains and always gives his best effort.) He does this because he loves us. He is a man of incredible faith and transparency. He is honest and ethical to a fault. He's a wonderful dad who will patiently listen to our son talk endlessly about a gameboy game he's in the middle of and even play with him so they can converse about it. He sits with my daughter and they have these great, deep theological discussions that amaze me. He's exactly what I wanted in a dad and didn't have. I think my kids are blessed....they do too! He's not perfect, but that wouldn't be any fun, would it? He stands his ground that we must have time together as a family without getting so caught up in the craziness of activities that keep us apart.

He helps with laundry, pitching in with other stuff around the house that I haven't gotten to yet. He puts up with me!!! He's a wonderful husband who loves me even when I'm not particularly lovable and for that I am forever grateful. He is romantic and thoughtful. He has become a sports fan because it is part of me....not because it means that much to him. (Don't get me wrong, he enjoys it, but it's not his big thing.)

He's fun-loving and likable. He's got a great sense of humor and our friends obviously enjoy him. He always gains the confidence of his fellow workers. They see him as someone they can come to with questions of magnitude and problems. They respect him, but also feel very comfortable joking around with him. His employers always think highly of him. He's kind, sensitive and very strong. He's patient. I often want to rush in and do/say things that I "feel" and his wise, quiet, peace-loving counsel saves me!! (Even though it irritates me at the time!) :)

I can't tell you the love I feel when I walk in to a room and find him sitting quietly with his Bible (and most of the time he's not studying for an upcoming test, paper, sermon, etc. ). His love for God and His Word inspires me and humbles me. He's such a thinker! I want so much for him to be in a situation where his gifts, talents and dreams can be used to inspire as many others as possible.

I love you, honey, and appreciate all that you do to take care of us! I am so blessed to be able to call you MY MAN!

2 Comments:

At June 16, 2006 7:58 AM, Blogger Arlene Kasselman said...

Gina
this is a great tribute to Eric! Glad to catch up a little. David works at Central church of Christ in Amarillo as the Admnistration minister but also does some stuff with Small groups and Adult Ed. We have been here close to 5 years now. I am not a lover of the Panhandle but the job has been good to us and we have an awesome ministry team. We would love to get with you guys some time.
Email me your phone numbers etc.
arlene @ gouldsplace . com

 
At June 19, 2006 2:15 PM, Blogger 5 Johnson Kids said...

Hi Gina! Glad to find your new site.

You put to works so beautifully what I feel and see in Mike as well. Is it any wonder these guys were great friends in college? What an honor to be married to men who know what it means to suffer on our behalf, and defend our hearts with patience and with truth.

It's funny to me to see so many years go by and find that we are in such similar lives. This post puts it into perspective for me, that regardless of region or distance, our families value the same things and attempt to live our lives out of the same motives and heart.

Thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home