Saturday, July 08, 2006

All our "2 a.m. Friends"

As I sit at the computer tonite (just got my kiddos tucked in bed and hubby is at work, the washer and dryer are still rumbling away and I have allowed myself to sit and write) familiar faces are flashing through my mind. Faces of friends. Old friends, new friends. Smiles, tears, laughter, "aha" moments, hugs, etc.

Today I've been thinking a lot about how blessed hubby & I have been on our journey to have been surrounded by so many wonderful friends. I am especially thinking about it today because it is happening again. Let me explain.

It happens with all couples, I'm sure. The search for friends that both of you "click" with can be tricky. Life is busy and when is there time to have people over, go out together, etc.? Add kids and that adds a whole other dimension. Because we have moved around more than your average bears (ALWAYS use a pencil when writing our address in your book), it has sometimes seemed like too big a task. It takes time, energy, putting yourself out there. At times we've felt alone and even questioned whether we were even "friendship material" anymore. Maybe we just aren't fun anymore. Maybe we are a drag. Maybe we are too high risk (after all, we might move off). And on, and on, and on. Fortunately, God has been faithful to assure us through wonderful, warm friendships all over this country. Each friendship is unique and occupies a special place in our hearts. No two are alike. Even that amazes me.

But back to today....the past couple of months have been special for our family. We have made some NEW wonderful friends and, frankly, it comes with mixed feelings. Last night we had a spontaneous game night with a family we adore. They left here reluctantly(on all our parts...even the kids) at 2 a.m. Every week lately we are having these great spontanteous times and laughing til we cry and sharing deep thoughts about God and about our lives, sharing history, sharing hopes for the future. We love these people and are having so much fun together....we've needed this for a while....but we are aware that God is likely to call us somewhere else in the near future. We want to go where He calls us. We want to be obedient and faithful to the gifts He's given us. Why does it have to come with such sacrifice??

This week I have also read blogs of old friends (I love catching up on their daily lives that way), I have talked to and prayed with old friends on the phone, and I opened the mail today and got something fun from another friend (thanks, Min). There are often encouraging emails from old friends, an envelope with a surprise check just when we are desperate. I am reminded of the ways He keeps us connected through distance and time. He is giving us a promise....that He will always provide those special people to enhance our lives if we give Him time...and He will keep us connected with the ones we have to leave behind.

I so fondly remember our college days and spontaneously getting together and staying up til the wee hours just talking and laughing....not wanting it to end. Classes together (Greek anyone?) The Coffee House. Jenga. Friends who went through pregnancies with me (read "put up with me hurling 24/7 for 9 months"). The friends we've bonded with over Bible studies. The friends who were there when each of our kiddos were born. Honesty (even when it sometimes hurts). The friends who have shared their homes with us with more patience than I can imagine. The "joy bus" with Claire-Squared. The millions of movies we've watched with friends. The Veggie Tale marathons. The game nights! The puzzles we've put together. Scrabble. The friends who spent Sunday afternoons (and other times as well) in our pool. The cookouts. The Holidays we've shared. Drive-In movies with lawn chairs and ice chests. Good food. Junk food. MEXICAN FOOD. Coffee. Chocolate. "42." Friends who've loved our kids. Friends whose kids we love. Friends who have brought their laundry to my house to fold on my kitchen table. The list is endless.

I don't know what God has in mind for the next step in our adventure with Him. Today I am comforted with the hope of friendships and the amazing way He weaves us all together in Him. I hope that some of our friends will recognize themselves and our love for them in this post. We can never put into words what you all mean to us. We look forward to all the fun ahead together. If not in this world...in the one to come. :)

P.S. If you don't recognize yourself in this post -- look out! -- chances are we will move to a neighborhood near you at some point! (I promise you don't have to stay up til 2 a.m. to be included in this group!:))

1 Comments:

At July 10, 2006 5:20 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Couldn't agree with you more.... we feel the same about y'all and are proud and honored to call you friends.... good friends..... great friends..... God friends!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home