Friday, July 14, 2006

Dibs on Dad

My kids are way deep into the stage of "calling dibs" on EVERTHING!! It sometimes makes me want to stick a hot poker in my eye. I mean, there are only 2 of them, after all! Dibs on everything from the seat choice in our 7 seater van (Hey, there are 5 choices....surely there are two that are equally desirable!) to dibs on the last ear of corn at supper (there's only 30 more in the frig. waiting to be cooked next time).

Last night, after supper/dinner (whatever), we took a family jaunt to the neighborhood park. The kids, after much debate on their mode of travel (bikes or skates?), decided to ride their bikes while we walked. (Hubby & I don't have bikes, but would really like to now that the kids are so proficient on their bikes...family bike rides sound like a blast.) It was pleasant out despite the fact that it had been 102 degrees during the day! It's one of the perks (and some would say there aren't many) of living here....it usually cools down in the evening and become quite pleasant (if you aren't fighting mosquitos).

About halfway on our trip back home, the kids got off their bikes and we somehow paired off (my daughter with my hubby and my son with me). I jumped on my sons' bike and thought I could enjoy the exercise. Not so, he wanted to talk. When your twelve year old son wants to talk, you don't leave him in the dust on the bike! The best exercise I got was trying not to tump over because I was going slow enough for him to keep up as he walked!! He proceeded to explain to me, with a hint of disappointment in his voice, that he had "called dibs" on dad but that I would be "okay". "It's just that sometimes I need some 'man talk' now since I'm 12 and all." I told him I understood and that if Dad and I had been aware of the "dib calling" we would surely have made sure that happened and that he could walk with Dad next time.

I don't think my kids ever "call dibs on Mom." Maybe it's because I'm. ALWAYS. THERE. The truth is, we all want to "call dibs" on Dad the minute he comes home....me too! I understand.


I called "dibs on Dad" after the kids were in bed and we watched Cinderella Man (yes, I know, we are behind). Great story, great movie...too much boxing (that HURTS me!). Wonderful "dib time!"

4 Comments:

At July 14, 2006 12:59 PM, Blogger Gina Conroy said...

Seems like we have a lot in common...name, homeschooling, twelve year old son.

I hear what you're saying on the calling dibs on mom. I have a cure for that though, just go away for the weekend. When you get back they'll be all over you.

 
At July 14, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger SuperMom said...

Gina, thanks for stopping by my blog AND for linking to me. Why would I mind that?!

I relate to this post!! There is never enough of Hubby to go around!! When he comes home everyone attacks him.

 
At July 28, 2006 12:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My kids always call dibs on me and not often on Dad. Long story.

 
At August 17, 2006 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home